Summer is upon us and we are feeling the heat of this especially warm year! It can be challenging to find energy and can become a little overwhelming, especially if we are not on vacation and have a busy day. Here are some suggestions from our beloved yoga teacher & wellness coach Julia on how to keep cool this summer, as well as a delicious, refreshing recipe:
- Choose to wear loose, natural and breathable fabrics such as linen or cotton and wear light colors.
- Drink lots of good quality water (tap water is not the best idea). Spring water is the best. Herbal teas are also great in summer, especially fresh mint tea.
- Avoid being in the sun between 10am and 2pm.
- Plan doing sports or other activities during the cooler time of the day.
- Limit consumption of animal products as they have a warming effect on the body.
- Include more raw foods in your diet such as salads, local fresh fruit, vegetables. Green juices are loaded with vitamins and minerals and have a cooling effect on the body but make sure it is not very sweet.
Additionally, here is a quick and easy green soup that you can have any time of the day and it will keep you cool, full of energy and healthy. Feel free to experiment with the ingredients and measurements to make it to your liking.
Yields- 3-4 servings
1 ripe tomato, cut into quarters
2 medium cucumbers, cut in manageable sizes
½ zucchini (optional)
1-2 stalks of celery (optional)
1 small avocado
1 bunch of any greens (lettuce, kale, parsley, spinach, etc)
1 lemon juiced or apple cider to taste
a handful of basil leaves
2-3 cloves garlic
Sea salt to taste
1 ½-2 cups water (adjust to your liking)
1 avocado diced (optional)
1 cucumber and or radish diced
1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro or parsley
Combine all the ingredients in a food processor or blender; puree until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until slightly chilled. Garnish each portion and enjoy.
Stay cool and share photos of your soup with us in the comments below!